Tuesday, February 2, 2016
Gus: Punxsutawney Phil didn't see his shadow! That means spring is on its way!
Nova: Well duh, it already looks like spring outside, you can see the grass.
Gus: Spring isn't on its way until Punxsutawney Phil says so.
Nova: You actually believe that?
Gus: Why wouldn't I believe a weather-predicting groundhog?!
Nova: Umm...because it is a weather-predicting groundhog...
Gus: You non-believer.
Nova: I'm logical. Science even says so.
Gus: Science schmience!
Nova: It's a German legend!
Nova: I read that his predictions are decided ahead of time by those weird dudes in the top hats.
Gus: You can't believe everything you read!
Nova: Yeah, YOU can't!
Gus: Punxsutawney Phil has been predicting the weather for a long time! He is a professional.
Nova: There is no way! Groundhog Day is like a 130 year old tradition!
Gus: Yeah, he has to drink the magical punch in order to live for 7 more years. Duh.
Nova: I can't argue with you about this anymore.
Gus: Because I'm right.
Gus: More fun facts about Groundhog Day:
1. Punxsutawney Phil is the only true weather forecasting groundhog. The others are just imposters.
2. There has been only one Punxsutawney Phil. He gets his longevity from drinking "groundhog punch" (a secret recipe). One sip, which is administered every summer at the Groundhog Picnic, gives him seven more years of life. (Gus: See Nova, told you so!)
3. According to legend, if Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter weather. If he does not see his shadow, there will be an early spring. (Nova: He can't predict the weather! He is a groundhog!)
4. For February 2, 2016, Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow, so get ready for an early spring!
5. (Gus: Contrary to what Nova read...) Punxsutawney Phil's forecasts are not made in advance by the Inner Circle, after he emerges from his burrow on the 2nd of February, he speaks to the Groundhog Club President, and his proclamation is then translated for the world.
Nova: Gus, tell everyone where you found these fun facts...
Gus: groundhog.org of course!
Gus: You have your opinion, I have mine, let's just go play!
Check out more fun pictures from today by clicking on the link below! And have a happy Groundhog Day!